Re: Problems with PDF creation

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:17:20AM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Wait, there is less than 70MB of PDF.  Yes, this is true.  Due to
>> > difficulties of making nice PDF out of XML/SGML without hitting FTBFS,
>> > many packages does not bother PDF creation.  Most of the doc containing
>> > PDF are:
>>
>> Can you please be more specific about "difficulties ... nice ... FTBFS"?
>> There have been some problems when teTeX 3.0 was uploaded to sid after
>> sarge's release, but that was a one-time problem (and the central
>> packages like debiandoc-smgl, linuxdoc etc. were fixed quite fast;
>> db2latex was harder).  Do you imply that people stopped generating PDF
>> files last summer/autumn because of these problems?
>
> That pretty much it.

And which packages are affected?

>> Or are there other
>> problems I am not aware of?
>
> doc-debian used to loop 6 times to build PDF.

If a LaTeX document is complex, this can be in fact needed (although
I've never seen anything needing more than 4 repetitions).  It could
also be a problem of the build system.  In any case it has nothing to do
with the fact that the sourceis xml/sgml, except maybe that there might
be suboptimal converters involved.

> Many Debiandoc packages
> did not contain PDF for cjk.

cjk is still a problem, that's right.  I hope I'll be able to sponsor an
upload of latex-cjk soon.

> New build script is much more stable.

Sorry, which build script are you talking about?  doc-debian's?  Then
how is this a problem for generating PDF from xml/sgml sources?

> I know some package build PDF first as upstream.

Sorry, I don't understand what you want to say.

> I fupdown does not come with documentation.

?  It does contain documentation in form of example text files.  If
that's not enough, that's a problem of content, not of the format, isn't
it?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster