Re: Is OSS only support to be considered a bug?

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+debdev@pvv.org> wrote in message [🔎] 20060626232157.db14e91b.randhol+debdev@pvv.org">news:[🔎] 20060626232157.db14e91b.randhol+debdev@pvv.org...
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:35:19 +0200
Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 09:20:34PM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
> With the 2.6 kernel programs using OSS for sound are not working
> anymore. Sound that is. One *may* use aoss, but then the user needs
> to open a terminal and write:
>
> aoss program-name
>
> because launching from the menu it won't work. So I consider aoss
> only as a temporary dirty hack before alsa takes over completely.
>
> My question is if it is legitimately to open bugs against
> applications that only support OSS for spund?

No. There is snd-pcm-oss.ko, which provides working OSS sound, even if
you don't use aoss. Just make sure to load the proper module.

Yes, but isn't this considered to be a temporary transitional thing? It
isn't loaded by default by the debian kernel image at least.

Umm... See these pages:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/aoss
http://alsa.opensrc.org/OSSEmulation

It sounds like both meathods are supported by the alsa devs, but obviously
native Alsa support is prefered,