Re: new tar behavior and --wildcards

"Petr Vandrovec" wrote in message [🔎] 44A03B47.1050008@vc.cvut.cz">news:[🔎] 44A03B47.1050008@vc.cvut.cz...

Since this seems to have been an intentional behavior change by
upstream to better align with a published standard, I'm uninclined to
fight it, and think our best response is to update our utilities to
include the --wildcards option, with a suitable versioned dependency on
tar.

This decision makes tar completely incompatible. Programs which worked fine with tar for 6 years are suddenly broken, and now you have to have two versions - one for 'tar' before this brokeness, which do not pass --wildcards, and one for this broken 'tar', which passes --wildcards. And older version on newer 'tar' extracts nothing, while new version on older 'tar' fails with an unknown option error.

Maybe it could be default for tar's POSIX mode, but I have no idea why GNU mode behavior should be changed in any way.
Petr Vandrovec

Indeed. If POSIX compatability is important to the GNU tar maintainer, then why has he not updated GNU pax yet? UNIX03 has no tar, but has pax. So reviving the paxutils package seems more imporant than fixing an incompatibility with an outdated
version of the Unix spec.