Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:59:39 +0200
Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006, Preben Randhol wrote:
>
> > > Do you think users with small machines shouldn't be able to
> > > install docs, too? It's just a one line script to gunzip all pdfs
> > > in /usr/share/doc.
> >
> > I don't find this a good argument as it is equally a one line script
> > to bzip2 all pdfs in /usr/share/doc in small computers.
>
>    A one-liner that can take hours, whereas gunzipping is quite cheap.

Please, how likely is it that a developer has a limited computer with
limited disc space and a lot of -doc packages? Maybe we need a poll
asking if the normal developer has a limited disc space or not? Anyway
if a computer *does* have limited hard disc space then it most likely
have limite CPU (like my old 166 MHz that collects dust in the corner).
This means that it will be a bigger annoyance to have to wait for zxpdf
or whatever to open the pdf every day.

And believe me I know as I also am maintaining a 233MHz...

Nothing is free, but space is close to...

Preben