Re: Who can make binding legal agreements

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 12:15:12PM -0500, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:46:57PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > And hi to everyone from /.!
> > http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/06/07/047204.shtml for those playing along
> > at home.
> If you wanted to avoid publicity, not announcing the inclusion of 'Sun
> Java' on debian-devel-announce would have been a better start.

Publicity's always worthwhile -- whether it's positive or negative,
it helps other people know what's going on, and indicates people care
about what you're working on. It's also never wise to choose what you
do in order to avoid publicity, that just allows people to threaten you
with the prospect of an anonymous post to a web forum.

But like people who might be misled into thinking someone on -legal is
speaking for Debian when they're not, it's also worth making sure people
realise that the thread they're posting to has hit slashdot so their
words are being viewed by more than just the -legal or -devel regulars.
I'm somewhat disappointed that whoever sent the link to /. didn't post
a note to the thread themselves.

Cheers,
aj