Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 11:09:04AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> At least so far as I understand it, the ftp-masters (i.e., the people who
> did this check) are the people responsible for verifying and checking
> licenses in uploaded packages and debian-legal exists as an advisory body
> for the ftp-masters and a place for Debian maintainers to ask for advice,
> not the other way around.
>
> Is that not correct?

I want to clear a misonception: debian-legal is not an advisory body.
debian-legal is the Debian mailing list where public discussions about
legal issues are to be directed.

As a consequence this is the list where you can expect to find people
interested to deal with legal issues, and it is where license
discussions happen.

Of course the FTP masters do use input from the debian-legal mailing
list.

However, in the normal process, ftp-masters are not the first and only
people to deal with the package. The normal process for new packages
(documented in the developers-reference) is to issue an ITP stating in
particular the license of the package and send a copy to debian-devel.
New licenses are then sent to debian-legal for review.

In the case at hand no ITP has been issued. Unfortunately we can only
speculate on the motive.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>