Re: Sun Java available from non-free

Anthony Towns schrieb am Donnerstag, den 18. Mai 2006:

> On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:09:30PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > First off, I'm going to completely ignore the FAQ as the FAQ and the
> > license both specifies that the FAQ does not have any legal validity.
>
> Repeating frequently asked questions that have already been answered
> isn't terribly useful.
This is not the way a DPL should answer, we were asking important questions
and its our right to get sane answers.

> > As a final note, did anyone from Debian who usually examines licences
> > actually examine this one?
>
> Yes.
I give nothing about an analysis I haven't seen from somebody I dont know.
Uploading such a package with such a license without any discussion is a
shame for Debian. Some not mentioned ftp-master waved the package (as the
only package) through after a few hours, beside that this ftp-master didn't
processed NEW for a long time. This all really smells strong and after
reading the license carefully and talked with several other people I came to
the conclusion that I have to do anything that I can to get this out of
debian again. This is not the freedom I'm standing for. And after all thats
not the way I wanted a project I'm working in to act, I see this way of
acting as a personal affront to me and my Debian work...

This really went wrong and I want to have some _good_ explanations or we will
have to bear the consequences.

Alex