Re: Debian Light Desktop - meta package

Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * André Luiz Rodrigues Ferreira [Tue, Apr 11 2006, 01:44:57PM]:
>> Hi !
>>
>> I'm creating a meta package for install a lite desktop for old
>> machines with poor hardware.
>> I would like to receive opinions about my packages list:
>>
>> - x-window-system-core
>> - xfce4 (beautiful!)
>
> Depends. IceWM with a tiny Filemanager (eg. emelfm) suffies my idea of
> "light desktop" much, much more. I would say - set
> "xfce4 | x-window-manager".
>
>> - evince
>
> As other pointed out, does basically the same job as xpdf but pulls half
> of the Gnome.
>
>> - eog
>
> As said, Gnome bloat. Use gqview or pornview.

Well, don't take pornview or you'll soon have a bug report about politically
incorrect package names;-)

>> - gaim
>
> Please depend on "gaim | psi | licq" or so.
>
>> - arj
>
> Who cares about arj nowadays? I suggest installing the "unp" package
> instead, it will tell user which program is needed to install for a
> certain type of archive.
>
>> - file-roller
>
> Is there really no other choice without GNOME dependencies?
You could use rox-filer, which is (in my opinion) much more useful than xffm4
and quite fast.

Best,

Torsten

- --
Torsten Marek <shlomme@gmx.net>
ID: A244C858 -- FP: 1902 0002 5DFC 856B F146  894C 7CC5 451E A244 C858
Keyserve