Re: On binary compatibility

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 07:56:42PM -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> The solution would be to convince Ubuntu to branch from stable instead
> of sid.  The problem is that this creates a lot of work for Ubuntu
> because they have to backport all of the desired bleeding-edge stuff.
> However, Debian developers could work with and contribute more to
> backports.org making it easier for Ubuntu.

This is not useful.  If Ubuntu branches from sid, and, hypothetically,
their packages work to produce new packages for X.Org and GNOME, then
these can be contributed straight back to sid.  If they're done against
sarge, then the packages are not immediately useful to Debian.

I don't see which problem you're trying to solve.