Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:49:48PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

> > > A 3:1 majority win in 2004-04 makes your claim rather tenuous, unless you
> > > are arguing that such a large part of Debian is composed of extremists,
> > > only.

> > That was a 3:1 majority out of 200 voters, considering that Debian

> http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_004

> There were exactly 909 developers including active, MIA and inactive ones at
> the time of the 2004-04 GR, as stated in the vote page.  However only 396
> developers voted.

> People who don't vote in Debian, by definition, don't care (if they wanted
> to protest, they would vote against all options).

> Option D (rescind the 2004-03 GR) didn't even reach the 3:1 [majority
> requirement].

However, it *did* pass a simple majority.  It doesn't benefit us as a
project at all to have people making overly-broad claims about the
significance of the previous votes.  When I look at the relatively low
turnout of 2004-03, the complaints since about its handling, and the fact
that a vote to repeal 2004-03 received a simple majority among a larger body
of voters, I find it impossible to draw any strong conclusions about
project-wide opinions on this subject.  *Would* a vote with fuller project
participation overturn the Social Contract modifications?  I can't say
either way with any confidence.  2004-03 certainly wasn't the "mandate from
the masses" that some people seem to want to claim it is.