Re: Dissection of an Ubuntu PR message

On Thursday 12 January 2006 00:09, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> Let's take this one apart and see what it is that pisses people off so
> much.

What pisses me off is ppl keeping this thread alive without adding new
arguments with as their main goal to widen the gap that is definitely
there, but is also not as wide as they want others to believe.

This discussion has been repeated at least three times here and in this
thread I have so far seen no significant new arguments.

My observations:
- almost all development effort that may help narrow the gap is done on
  the Ubuntu side, not on the Debian side;
- the paid Ubuntu developers all work very hard (sometimes somewhat
  resulting in less attention to their Debian responsibilities than
  we'd like, but hey, real live (i.e. making money to live on) comes
  first;
- there are plenty of Debian developers who take little or no trouble to
  see how Ubuntu might help them; there are also plenty Ubuntu developers
  who maybe could make more of an effort to give back; at least Ubuntu
  has a policy of giving back; never seen policy not (fully) implemented
  in practice?
- I expect things to get better over time, not worse.

Note: I am on the Debian side but am happy with any of my work also being
used in Ubuntu as I see plenty coming back personally. And even if not:
Ubuntu is doing great things for the promotion of free software.

Cheers,
FJP