Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

Scripsit Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
> * Henning Makholm:
>> Scripsit Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>

>>> The GPL does fail the Dissident test because it does not permit
>>> anonymous changes.

>> Your copy of the GPL must have been garbled in transmission.
>> Please fetch a fresh copy from a trusted source.

> The copy shipped by Debian contains the following requirement:

>     a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
>     stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

You can satisfy this by adding a comment at the top:

  /* SEE HERE ---->   I changed this file on November 5th, 2005 */

There is no requirement at all that you divulge who "I" is.
The meaning of the clause is simply that the recipient must be alerted
that the file _has_ been changed.

> (We should move this discussion to -legal, or stop it right here.
> It's not very productive.)

Feel free to move it; I subscribe to -legal too. The discussion is
highly relevant, because licenses that do require that a contributor
identifies himself posivtively are _not_ free.

--
Henning Makholm           "Larry wants to replicate all the time ... ah, no,
                   all I meant was that he likes to have a bang everywhere."