Re: LCC and blobs

Josh Triplett wrote:

I would like to suggest an additional option, which I think covers most
cases quite well:

If Debian were to package (a copy of) the non-free item in the non-free
section, would the Free package express a Depends, Recommends, or
Build-Depends on the non-free package?  If so, the Free package should
be in contrib.

That's an interesting criteria. It winds up working for flash and ROM-based devices because they are like Essential: yes packages.

However, it has one pitfall I can think of: If a package requires a certain version of an essential package, we'd normally declare a Depends: on that version (or later). I'm not sure what we'd do for firmware, though it'd probably be either a 'Suggests' or 'Recommends'.