Re: LCC and blobs

I demand that Glenn Maynard may or may not have written...

> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 01:48:12AM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
[fetching firmware on finding hardware which needs it: wget or packaged?]
>> Fetch every time and fetch once. That looks like a difference to me...

> How could "fetch every time" possibly be acceptable to the SC when "fetch
> once" is not? Are you saying that the "rancid-installer" package could go
> in main, if it re-downloaded and reinstalled the program every time it was
> used?  Of course not--there is no difference to the SC.

I don't believe that I've made any comments about freeness of the firmware
installer package (though I've definitely said things about kernel modules
for devices which, to be useful, require firmware uploads). I merely consider
fetch-every-time to be broken (and you can add "firmware no longer available
for download" to the list of reasons).

>> [my comments about network availability removed - RELEVANT CONTEXT]

> The removed quotes were superfluous to my response, so no, they weren't
> relevant.  Stop yelling.

They were relevant to the text which you *didn't* snip. You should have
summarised them or left them in place.

And you've not marked where you've removed text :-\

--
| Darren Salt   | linux (or ds) at | nr. Ashington,
| woody, sarge, | youmustbejoking  | Northumberland
| RISC OS       | demon co uk      | Toon Army
|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/> (PGP 2.6, GPG keys)

Answers on a postcard please to 10 Downing Street, London SW1.