Re: Size matters. Debian binary package stats

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:56:27AM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On 12/19/05, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:27:36PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > > * Steinar H. Gunderson:

> > > Depends.  Decent IP service costs a few EUR per gigabyte in most parts
> > > of the world.
> >
> > I wish we could get it that cheap for my day job. What we have to pay
> > to get useful bandwidth has more zeros in it.
>
> Are you paying > 10 $/gb?

Heck yes, you can't get it that cheap unless you have no SLA (or one
of those insulting SLAs that come with residential service, claiming
that it doesn't have to work at all). And you can't get that at all on
a pipe of any significant size (unless you're big enough to work out a
peering agreement). We pay per month though, not per byte.

> Where is it that expensive?

UK.

As a general rule, UK bandwidth prices are roughly five to ten times
those of equivalent service in other EU countries. Not that you can
get equivalent service.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |