Re: Closing bugs bevore the upload is available

Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@ethgen.de> wrote:
> Today I did a update of the system (yes, sid and yes I know it can be
> unstable but...) and the update includes grep where no open critical bug
> was seen. After Boot the system was completely broken as of the libpcre
> dependency.

> So please do not close bugs bevore it is available on servers. This
> break of the system musn't be.
[...]

Hello,
This is (currently) standard practice and usually[1] there is no
manual maintainer action involved.

1. Package uploaded
2. archive software processes the package, including
2a. closing bugs
2b. making it available on incoming.d.o.
3. Only after the next mirror-pulse (which happens up to ~24 hours
later) the fixed package will be found by apt-get.

As a maintainer I prefer this approach, because I get rather quick
feedback after an upload.
                  cu andreas
[1] Yes, the grep bug was closed manually, but also only after the
fixed package was availale in incoming.
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute