Re: Dogme05: Team Maintenance

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:03:17AM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 15:46 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > It might take a bit longer for the new maintainer
> > to be up to speed as compared to when one member of a team gets run over
> > by a bus, but that doesn't mean "the project stops".
[...]
> I think it's important not to underestimate the possible consequences of
> it "taking a bit longer to come up to speed" when a maintainer of an
> important package suddenly disappears.  For some values of "a bit", the
> project could suffer a fair amount through such a loss.  I can't readily
> provide an anecdote for when this ever occurred, but I do have a vivid
> imagination.

Exactly. I can't, either; and there have been some takeovers of some
pretty serious packages who were maintained by one person in the past.
As an example, consider what happened when Joel Klecker died (who was
maintaining a package of quite some importance at the time).

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea to have team maintenance; on
the contrary. But forcing people to maintain packages in teams is, I
think, a /very/ bad idea. There are some packages that can easily be
maintained by one person alone, even if they're quite important; and
forcing a team upon such a package is just a drain on the time of the
person who's been maintaining it up to then.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond