Re: README - confusing, irrelevant, redundant, useless

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 12:55:11PM -0400, Benjamin Seidenberg wrote:
> While I agree the README can be confusing, I think we do a disservice
> to our upstream by not including it. Some readers may be interested in
> the people who brought them the software, or knowing upstream's email

/usr/share/doc/<package>/copyright, according to our policy?

> or any of these items you mention. As for readme versus man page, I

Don't you think that most of the examples I gave are utterly
irrelevant to about 100% of our users, including me and you?

> find manpages are usually more of a reference about syntax while
> readme's are closer to a tutorial on usage.

All my examples show, that a lot of READMEs do not contain
tutorials, but irrelevant information.  I did not say anything
against useful information or tutorials in README files.  I
personally would prefer a tutorial in a file named, hm, maybe
"tutorial"?

> I think a better solution would be to duplicate all the important
> information about the software into the README.Debian and train users
> to read that soley. The original readme is still intact for those
> users who care. In addition, I would like to see a standardazation on

The name of the file "README" suggests reading its content is
highly important to the user.  Sometimes it really is.  The huge
number of useless READMEs thwarts that.  I still think,
information irrelevant to the user should be removed from the
binary package.  If one really cares, apt-get source <package>.

> whether to compress the README and similar files, I always end up
> typing less /usr/share/doc/blah/README.Debian[.gz] using tab
> completion and have to go back and correcting my command to use zless
> because half are compressed and half aren't. I also agree with what

Doesn't /bin/zless work for both?

> Branden said in his WTFM presentation at debconf.. a readme command to
> display the readme's to the user would be a very nice tool.

Yes.  Unfortunately, I arrived one day too late for the talk.
Otherwise, I would have criticised Branden for proposing hacking
*roff instead of using DocBook/XML refentries :-)

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~debacle/