Re: what happened to RunDinstallHourly proposal?

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 12:04:18PM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>   I was just browsing through the wiki and came across this very
> interesting idea. It would be really useful if the mirrors are updated
> more frequently. I need not wait for one day to erect my broken sid machine.

> http://wiki.debian.net/?RunDinstallHourly

> I have also read the corresponding thread on debian-devel

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/01/msg00141.html

> I was just wondering if there are any efforts currently undergoing to
> make this a reality? or has the idea been just dropped? What is
> preventing its implementation?

The fact that it's technically infeasible for Debian to actually pulse its
mirrors that quickly.  A more realistic proposal has been to pulse things
twice daily, but any change at all would require a substantial reworking of
the infrastructure.

It's also wholly out of the question while ftp-master is in temporary
quarters as it is right now, and probably out of the question until after
the archive split takes place.

Debian Developer                  to set it on, and I will move the world.