Re: shouldn't I use update-alternatives for this?

[Marco d'Itri]
> Reality? git is the kernel SCM and GNU Interactive Tools is an
> obscure package, and you should just install /usr/bin/git.
> If the GNU Interactive Tools maintainer refuses to rename the other
> program then just conflict with it.

Ah, conflict resolution by the use of force.  The method seem to gain
popularity in the world today, but I do not recommend it.

It is is not obvious which tool is more obscure, as this will differ
from user group to user group.  It is a better idea for the
maintainers to try to reach an agreement, and perhaps to discuss the
choice of name with upstream as well, to try to make the choosen name
used in other distros.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen