Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

El Martes 14 Junio 2005 16:50, Marco d'Itri escribió:
> > They don't care about free software. They don't care
> > about distributors/vendors.
>
> This looks like a bold statement, and should be argumented a bit more if
> you want people to believe you.

Moreover, it doesn't matter whether they care about free software or not.
The *fact* is that they produce free software. Debian is not here to be a
moral judge of upstreams, the aim is to produce a distribution.

Firefox is free software, and DFSG-compliant: "The license may require derived
works to carry a different name or version number from the original
software." (Even if it is "a compromise").

I think everything is clear enough. And I think it is quite reasonable that an
upstream author asks for a name change for a modified version. Even for
security fixes. There is lots of modified versions of programs out there and
the upstreams authors are always suffering bug reports that doesn't concern
the original version.

And if you finally plan to rename Firefox, you should start renaming PHP,
unless I missed something...

  Cesar