Re: New Nokia device is Debian-based?

David Weinehall(tao@debian.org)@2005-06-06 11:47:

> > <snip>

> > top company to bottom in my mind.  Sigh ... I would have liked one of
> > those tablet computer.
>
> So, I take it you don't buy any products from Apple, IBM, Sony,
> etc either?

Apple ... nope
IBM ... nope
Sony ... okay, so you got me!

> There's a distinct difference between corporate policy and the project
> internal policy of the Nokia/OSSO team who have developed the N770.
>
> > Software patents are an absolute menace in the USA it would be crazy
> > for Europe to also start issuing them.
>
> Well, the European Parliament is (or has at least been) strongly opposed
> to software patents, so it's unlikely that they will pass without some
> serious trickery.

I certainly hope so.  The USA situation is completely insane IMHO.

> NOTE: I'm a Nokia employee and work on the N770 team, but this is by
> no means an official statement...
>
> Regards: David Weinehall

Be careful what you post though!  Nokia may be different but the "do
no evil" company google fired a guy for sharing his views :-)

Steve

PS Okay .. Id still like one of those tablets but the software patent
thing is pretty upsetting and I am quite suprised Nokia is on the
wrong side.