Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 19:16:50 +0200
Daniel Holbach <dh@mailempfang.de> wrote:

> Hello Dale,
>
> Am Samstag, den 04.06.2005, 11:29 -0400 schrieb Dale C. Scheetz:
> > >From the first CD I installed, I realized it was a fork...and a disapointing
> > one at that. (Pretty desktop on live CD didn't install from installation CD,
> > but the fact that their archives only hold their limited package set, found
> > on the CDs, made it apparent that they were a separate distro, based on
> > Debian but not necessarily compatible with Debian.)
>
> this is not quite true. The CD only holds packages from the "main"
> component, but there are "Universe", "Multiverse" (the non-free section)
> and "restricted" as well.

When using apt-get on a system installed from the installation CD (not the live
CD) apt-get points to the Ubuntu archives, which only contain a very limited
subset of Debian's main archives. I had limited success in pointing apt at a
real Debian archives and getting additional packages to install. This is why
I said it looked like a fork from the biginnig. This is a "desktop" distribution
with a specific philosphy that dictates looking at global configuration of
packages in a different way than the Debian developers may...

> Apart from that, I really can't see this as an indication for a fork.

Even as a fork, there are useful ideas to be gleaned from them, and their
open source policy seems to make that possible, dispite the technical
problems...

Luck,

Dwarf