Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 01:59:18AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:47:19 -0700, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> said:
>
>         Obviously, I have no control over how derived distributions
>  conduct their business, or where they allocate resources. But I would
>  not consider doing development in a public repo an adequate
>  substitute for not pushing bug reports and fixes upstream, using
>  their BTS, for any of the packages I maintain.

*Especially* with their "everything is in Arch" philosophy.  There are
good reasons that people may choose Subversion or Darcs instead.  Every
VC I've ever used falls flat on its face in certain common scenarios,
and Arch is no more a silver bullet than Darcs, Subversion, or CVS.

I would be very pleased to have Ubuntu folks track my Darcs
repositories.  But at the same time, I don't *expect* them to.  Sending
me diffs as wishlist bugs is still fine.

Just don't expect me to dig out arch and try to apply Arch diffs to my
darcs repos.  Isn't going to happen.

-- John