Re: Release update: minor delay; no non-RC fixes; upgrade reports

On 02/06/05, Thaddeus H. Black <t@b-tk.org> wrote:
> Steve Langasek:
>
> > I challenge anyone to do volunteer release management
> > for a project with Debian's size and complexity ...
>
> No.  After seeing what Steve does, I'd sooner volunteer
> to spar with Darth Maul than to manage a release for a
> project with Debian's size and complexity.
>
> Sarge has as many binary packages as a World War II army
> division had soldiers, and as many Developers as the
> division had officers.  In the Debian division,
> moreover, each individual soldier fills a unique,
> noninterchangeable role, and each officer is an
> unregimentable volunteer.  When can our release

Hmmm, This is kinda appropriate, as you could say, Debian and other
distro's are still fighting LW1 (Linux War 1)

> manager say, "Transfer twelve artillery packages to
> the third brigade now; remind corps HQ that forty of
> our M-4 armor packages still need new rubber grommets;
> and tell <pfufnik@debian.org> that if he doesn't take
> that ridge by noon, I'll relieve him of command!"

Also, I totally agree with the comments in relation to the fact that
no release date was set in plaster.  Because, those timelines on d-d-a
said "we hope", "we expect", "hopefully", "possibly", all of these are
"abstract" in this context because they don't mean "for certain".

It's not Steve's, or any other RM's fault if the media can't read in
context!  If a media organization wishes to post articles, they should
only do that if they have read "official" sources, using the "real"
English language, reporting what the sources *say* not what they think
they say...

--
N Jones