Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

Hi Ante, welcome to the debian project!

Ante Karamati?(ivoks@grad.hr)@2005-05-31 20:09:
> First of all, hi to all developers!
>
> I packaged that wifi-radar for Ubuntu. It was my first package and I
> didn't fill ITP, untill it was reviewed by others. I'm sorry for not
> filling ITP. I didn't know I have to. I'm new in creating packages and
> don't know all the rules.

No problem at all, I am the guy that filed the ITP (Intent To Package)
before I knew of your work.  Lets chat off the list about how you want
to proceed. I'll do the best I can to help.

I only started this thread because it seems there is the possibility of
problems later on with other packages with packages being created by
two people, one on Ubuntu and one on Debian. Duplicated effort.

> So, could someone point me to some HOWTO or documentation regarind the
> ITP and debian etiquette?

Debian is quite well documented in most areas, but there is a ton to
read.  Here is a good place to start

http://www.debian.org/devel/join/

> Speaking of package. It has few changes regarding upstream (man
> page,

Genereally it is a good idea to contact the upstream developer.  Most
are delighted to hear that somebody is planning to do the packaging
work on their behalf.  Most times they will accept patches and try to
incorporate your improvements into the package.  That is excellent because
you don't have too keep patching with each new release from upstream.

> autodetection of wifi interface, menu entry and uses gksudo instead of
> sudo).

Why did you not use sudo?

Steve