Re: RFC: A new video-related section

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 02:06:03PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:

> Is it already used in any package management tools? Or is the debedit
> GUI currently the only program using the preliminary database?

There is a library being implemented (libapt-front.alioth.debian.org) to
wrap libapt and also include other data sources (such as libdebtags)

> By the way debedit spew some debugging output at me and seems also a bit
> laggy. Is it still beta? (:

In a way, yes: it's useful as a tagging tool, and it's my playground to
test user interfaces-related features, so, well... :)

There's a new improved version in experimental (and an even newer on
monday), which has less debugging output but it's still quite laggy.

Reason for being laggy is that there's some newly developed algorithms
there which are more into "let's see if this works" stage than in a
"let's make this efficient".

It'd actually be quite interesting to redesign these algorithms
efficiently: if someone knows C++ and STL and algorithmics and wants a
challenge, please contact me.

Ciao,

Enrico