Re: Proper use of Replaces

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 08:35:22AM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 06:59:10PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 09:43:26PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > > I am working on taking over toshutils.  One of the things I would like
> > > to do is incorporate a patch that updates it from GTK+ to GTK2.  The
> > > patch came from ALT Linux.

<toshutils new version plan>
> > > 1) Setup toshutils-gtk2 to compile binaries to have different names and
> > > maybe not have them Conflict.
> > > 2) Have both packages use the same binary names, remove the Conflict and
> > > set them up to use alternatives.
> > > 3) Forget about a GTK+ version and press ahead with a GTK2 only package.
> > > 4) Forget about a GTK2 version and press ahead with a GTK+ only package.
> >
> > > I would like to know what everyone thinks.
> >
> > Forget about the GTK+ 1.2 version, so we can let that library die?
> >

> Good.  That is what I wanted to do, but I wasn't sure how it would go
> over.  Second question, how do handle the version numbering?  Increment
> only the Debian part of the version and include the GTK2 patch as a
> Debian patch?  Patch the original source and sort of make my own "new
> upstream release" and increment that main version number?
>
> Also, should I plan this bing uploaded to unstable or experimental?
>
> -Roberto
Hi Steve and Roberto,
I noticed that Roberto as a new contributer was unsure as to wheather to
keep using gtk 1.x or to move his app to 2.x. Is there any refernce for
say RELEASES as to what libraries are to be transitioned to a certain
version? I recall seeing RC issues about libmysql being mentioned. Was
there somewhere someone could have gone to read about what version was
expected to be used in SARGE and thus would have been able to better
plan a tranistion for his/her app? Is this just 'general knowledge' in
Debian, to any app developer or would this be good to have listsed as a
design goal for a release (on the website)?
Just curious.
Kev

--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!