Re: Proper use of Replaces

Le samedi 28 mai 2005 à 08:35 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez a écrit :
> Good.  That is what I wanted to do, but I wasn't sure how it would go
> over.  Second question, how do handle the version numbering?  Increment
> only the Debian part of the version and include the GTK2 patch as a
> Debian patch?  Patch the original source and sort of make my own "new
> upstream release" and increment that main version number?

I wouldn't touch the upstream version unless you're really taking over
upstream maintenance... is your upstream dead ?

Including the patch in the debian diff is quite common nowadays. You can
always use a build system that applies patches at build time rather than
patching by hand before generating the .deb ... those system let you
quickly add/remove patches.

You can check for example how I did it in libdbdpg-perl (I borrowed it
from someone else).

> Also, should I plan this bing uploaded to unstable or experimental?

It depends... I'd wait a few fays until sarge is released and then
upload it to unstable. (Uploading right now probably wouldn't hurt since
it's not a library but ... if you discover a RC bug for sarge, then
you're forced to use t-p-u)

Regards,
--
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com