Re: why so much spam on the devel list?

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:

> Hi
>     I am subscribed to debian-user, debian-mentors and debian-devel
> lists. I am finding that typically debian-devel and debian-mentors is
> way more spammed than debian-user. Why is it so? Am I just day dreaming
> or is there any reason? Is there anything we forgot to implement on d-d
> lists that has already been implemented on d-u?

Few obvious things come to mind.

Bugs filed against Package: general are sent to -devel.

Mails from the bug system sent to -devel are whitelisted, and don't go thru
the spam filters on murphy.

The bug system has it's own set of filters, including spamassassin and
crossassin.

Bugs themselves are an additional source of spam targets; so them plus the
list will generally cause an increase of spam on debian-devel.