Re: Status of PHP5?

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 02:41:33PM +0200, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> I really want to see ANY official php5 packages in the distribution.

I talked to Adam Conrad (it's not difficult), and he says that after
Ubuntu Down Under is finished (next weekend) he'll work on php5 packages
and get them in Debian (and Ubuntu) quickly.

That said, I've since the official PHP5 release personally thought
throughout it'd be too late to get them in Sarge properly tested etc, in
hindsight, I guess that was wrong, and if I would have known that back
then, I'm sure I'd have annoyed Adam until he made those packages, and
he'd probably would have made them himself too back then.

Getting php4 packages straightened out though (php4 from the apache1 php4
module to being a dummy package, libapache-mod-php4 being the new name,
php4-cgi vs php4-cli split), was good to be done first, so that php5
packages can be the same from the start and not carry a whole bunch of
legacy code. This is good from a least-surprises-to-the-user POV.

--Jeroen
Speaking on behalf of himself

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar