Re: Not every package should enter Debian

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 07:42:58PM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
>> IMHO, Debian has a serious double-problem here and needs to attack it.
>> ftp-masters should, as I understand the role, be a purely administrative
>> function: keep the archive running.  No policy decisions should be made by
>> ftp-masters.
>>
>> In that light, fully automatic NEW processing will not hurt at all (I agree
>> that a delay of a few days is sensible to give us time to react to the
>> worst problem cases.)
>
> Unfortunately reality isn't so simple. In practice, the ftp-masters
> have also become the review point for new packages. We *need* new
> packages reviewing just to filter out some of the worst of the stupid
> from the archive; frankly we need more than just new packages
> reviewing. However, splitting that task out would probably be a good
> idea.

There is another problem with NEW: The US laws.

Untill a package has been processed through NEW and a mail send to
some goverment agency Debian runs risk of violating the crypto export
laws. If I understand it right non US ftp-masters can't even look at
the source of a package without running the risk of doing illegal
weapons export, they can only run some tools over the source like
lintian.

I think any change in NEW would have to first move incoming out of US
or membership is restricted to US DDs only.

MfG
        Goswin