Re: mipsel drop / buildd situation Was: [Fwd: Re: GTK+2.0 2.6.2-3 and buildds running out of space]

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 14:36 -0800, Clint Byrum wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 22:22 +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Op di, 08-03-2005 te 10:33 -0800, schreef Clint Byrum:
> > > How much would it help with the current problems if we just picked 3
> > > arches(mipsel, s390, ???)
> >
> > This argument has been brought up so many times by now that I'm amazed
> > people /still/ try it.
> >
> > The answer is, simply, 'not'. Go learn to use google if you want to know
> > why.
> >

> Good idea.. google is a great tool for this sort of thing. I put this
> one in:
>
> site:lists.debian.org architectures sarge debian-devel

[...]

> Nope.. nope.. there aren't too many architectures! You're right.

Just to chime in, not saying that maintaining a consistent state between
architectures is an easy thing and presents no problems, but Debian is
the only distribution that supports all these many architectures. This
has the *HUGE* benefit of making the life of those of us who actually
run quite a few different architectures, to have the same distribution
on all our machines.

So, from my point of view, there aren't too many architectures.
Actually, the fact that Debian runs on so many architectures is in the
top five reasons I'm a Debian user.

--
Gergely Nagy