Re: Shouldn't kernel-image-2.6.x-y-z depend on alsa-base ?

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 00:20:13 +0100, Paul Hampson wrote:
> Hmm. I would think that the better solution (the less surprising
> solution) would be to leave out the ALSA modules from the Debian
> kernel package, since we have a seperate package of ALSA modules
> which _does_ depend on alsa-base.

That's not a bad idea.  We already have the problem that the ALSA drivers
in the kernel-image packages are out of date relative to the ALSA
libraries in alsa-lib.  (Currently, the drivers in kernel-image-2.6.8 are
version 1.0.4 but alsa-lib in sarge is version 1.0.8.)  Omitting the ALSA
drivers from kernel-image packages would solve this problem by forcing
people to install up-to-date alsa-modules packages.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:20:10 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> As long as the linux26 installation ends up with both sound modules
> loaded, that's a bug that needs to be fixed, though. Another option
> would be to put the alsa modules in separate packages, just like pcmcia
> modules.

There already exist separate alsa modules packages.  Currently we only
build them for 2.4 kernels, though.

--
Thomas Hood