Re: NoX idea

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:18:14AM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20050303225959.GQ28249@spawn.internal.mnemosyne-consulting.com> you wrote:
> > If so... then it's flat-out not available on the set of systems in
> > question

> Hm? it is on all my  systems:

> # cat /proc/cmdline
> auto BOOT_IMAGE=v2.6.8.1 ro root=811

Can we assume your systems are all Linux-based Debian? I expect
neither of the BSD-type Debian ports has anything in /proc that's
not a pid or self... I have a sneaking suspicion that the Hurd-
based Debian port is like that too, but I've never booted Hurd.

I'm not gonna speculate on the win32-based port that may or may
not actually have come into existance, but I strongly doubt it
has (would have) a /proc on the grounds that the win32 kernel
doesn't actually have a / to mount things under...

And given that even Linux itself is looking to migrate non-PID
things from /proc to /sys where sensible, I wouldn't rely on
things like /proc/cmdline to be around come Linux 2.8.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.