Re: NoX idea

Re: Sean Perry in <[🔎] 4224F380.6020402@speakeasy.net>
> >What would people think about adding a check on all the *dm managers (read
> >kdm, gdm and friends) about cheking the kernel command line from
> >/proc/cmdline
> >and grep for nox?

Would be neat :)

> Should be easy for you to do locally and since the init scripts are
> conffiles your mods will survive.

I guess the suggestion was to set that up per default. Currently, all
(most?) packages configure all runlevels the same, afaik. (I wonder
why so many suggested using runlevel 2 for it?! Runlevel 2 is the
default on Debian, and all DMs do run there.)

> I do not see this being useful for most people. If they installed the dm
> they probably want X. As I mentioned above, if you know there are
> occasions when you want a minimal boot up, runlevels are a great solution.

It would be nice for occasional no-X booting, e.g. for debugging. But
then there's still single user mode for that, so "wasting" a whole
runlevel for it doesn't seem so useful. The "nox" boot parameter seems
much less intrusive.

Who's going to file the wishlist bugs?

Christoph
--