Re: NoX idea

Jesus Climent wrote:
What would people think about adding a check on all the *dm managers (read
kdm, gdm and friends) about cheking the kernel command line from /proc/cmdline
and grep for nox?

I have the need some times to start a laptop with console mode, and it would
be nice to just add an append to the kernel command line to stop it from
running...

Any comments?

1) use runlevels, also specified at the command line
or
2) check for nox in the init script(s)

Should be easy for you to do locally and since the init scripts are conffiles your mods will survive.

I do not see this being useful for most people. If they installed the dm they probably want X. As I mentioned above, if you know there are occasions when you want a minimal boot up, runlevels are a great solution.