Re: amd64 is already the 2nd most important arch (WasRe: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ... (Was: [Fwd: Re: GTK+2.0 2.6.2-3 and buildds running out of space])

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:25:25 -0500
Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 03:08:11AM +0000, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> >               reports  percent
> > hurd-i386           1   0.0175
> > kfreebsd-i386       1   0.0175
> > ppc64               1   0.0175
> > arm                 2   0.0351
> > mipsel              2   0.0351
> > m68k                3   0.0526
> > s390                4   0.0702
> > mips                5   0.0877
> > ia64                9   0.1579
> > hppa               12   0.2106
> > alpha              33   0.5790
> > sparc              47   0.8247
> > powerpc            87   1.5266
> > amd64             257   4.5096
> > i386             5235  91.8582
> > total            5699 100.0000
> >

> > Now this shows that *amd64 is already the second most important
> > arch*. We are so busy looking after the arches used by basically
> > nobody that we are not getting around to releasing with what is
> > becoming *the* main alternative to i386.
>
> Oops.  You jumped from "second most common" to "second most
> important", as if they're synonymous.  Maybe they are to some people,
> but that's not at all beyond debate: AMD64 will probably be supported
> by all serious distributions, while Debian is, from what I recall, the
> *only* way to get a sensible Unix installation on many of the less
> common systems.

Or you can debate whether something like a sparc and alpha will be used
for more "important" projects than the average amd64. In that case, one
sparc or alpha could carry more weight than one amd64. "Important" can
be a totally different twist that's very open to definition.

Jacob