Re: amd64 is already the 2nd most important arch (WasRe: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ... (Was: [Fwd: Re: GTK+2.0 2.6.2-3 and buildds running out of space])

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 03:08:11AM +0000, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>               reports  percent
> hurd-i386           1   0.0175
> kfreebsd-i386       1   0.0175
> ppc64               1   0.0175
> arm                 2   0.0351
> mipsel              2   0.0351
> m68k                3   0.0526
> s390                4   0.0702
> mips                5   0.0877
> ia64                9   0.1579
> hppa               12   0.2106
> alpha              33   0.5790
> sparc              47   0.8247
> powerpc            87   1.5266
> amd64             257   4.5096
> i386             5235  91.8582
> total            5699 100.0000
>

> Now this shows that *amd64 is already the second most important arch*. We are
> so busy looking after the arches used by basically nobody that we are not
> getting around to releasing with what is becoming *the* main alternative to
> i386.

Oops.  You jumped from "second most common" to "second most important", as
if they're synonymous.  Maybe they are to some people, but that's not at all
beyond debate: AMD64 will probably be supported by all serious distributions,
while Debian is, from what I recall, the *only* way to get a sensible Unix
installation on many of the less common systems.

--
Glenn Maynard