Re: Controlling what's in the archive (Re: MIA, Incompetent and holiday-loving maintainers)

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 10:25:31AM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> Why do you think would it be more easy to find a comaintainer than a
> sponsor? (And don't tell that doesn't apply here, because there are
> enough orphaned packages around.)

You just start working on a package, contributing bugfixes and such to
it, and eventually you're added as co-maintainer. How you arrange that
with whoever already maintains it is up to you. If you're adopting
something, then obviously finding a comaintainer is going to be more
difficult, and it shouldn't be necessary (remember the caveat about
adoption). But in this case, it should be damn easy to become a
comaintainer because you'll have proven that you're willing to do the
work on the package. And if you, as a maintainer, had someone who was
helping you out a lot and wanted to be comaintainer with you, would you
turn them down if they had demonstrated their competence?

The other side benefit of this is that packages people really cared
about would be the ones better taken care of. If someone loves a
program and they use it a lot, they'll have more incentive to
contribute to it, making it easier for them to do the work to become
comaintainer. Plus it could potentially give them a greater sense of
satisfaction with what they're doing. Compare "I'm a member of the
Debian KDE team" with "I've packaged my first program for Debian, and
it's another web photo gallery script." I think we'd all rather hear
the former than the latter, including the NM themselves.

 - David Nusinow