Re: Filing bugs with upstream

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:47:45AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> In my opinion, best practice is to file a Debian bug, and rely on the
> Debian maintainer to file an upstream bug.  If you do file an upstream
> bug, you should verify yourself that the bug exists in the unmodified
> upstream sources, not just in the Debian package.  (And here I do mean
> "verify", not just "reason about it and think it must".)

Speaking as both an "upsream" AND a debian maintainer, I would like to
advocate the position of filing it primairly upstream, if "upstream"
happens to have a decent bug filing mechanism.

Even if they dont, I would still advocate giving some kind of notice
upstream *first*.

>From purely a "time-to-fix" standpoint, it is better for the open source
community in general, to directly notify the upstream maintainer, so that
they can start working on an actual fix sooner.

A comparison of outcomes for your analysis.

Only the cases in doubt are compared. no point with "Y,Y" cases.

Good Upstream,  Good Deb Maintainer

       File with Deb        File Upstream
             Y                     N

      Outcome: Deb files with upstream, upstream fixes, new package comes

       File with Deb        File Upstream
             N                     Y

      Outcome: upstream fixes, new package comes

Good Upstream,  Bad Deb Maintainer

       File with Deb        File Upstream
             Y                     N

      Outcome: Deb does not file with upstream, nothing gets fixed

       File with Deb        File Upstream
             N                     Y

      Outcome: upstream fixes, new package may or may not come,
               but at least someone could NMU?

Bad Upstream,  Good Deb Maintainer

       File with Deb        File Upstream
             Y                     N

      Outcome: Deb files with upstream, nothing gets fixed

       File with Deb        File Upstream
             N                     Y

      Outcome: Nothing gets fixed

[okay, in this last set, if you have "Superb Deb Maintainer", they
  might write a source patch :-) but that is a very very exceptional case
  I think]

I think the above case analysis shows a slight favour to
give preference to file with upstream, if there is an implication that
people are often too lazy to duplicate bug reports to two places properly.