Re: charsets in debian/control

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 01:40:27AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 09:32:00PM +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> >  But the only field in UTF8 should be Maintainer, and that field should
> > have (IMHO) also a roman transliterate for the name, if you don't use a
> > latin charset (Greek, Arabic, Japanese, Chinese...)

> The transliterated field should be called 'Maintainer'. If you want
> some other freaky encoding, unsupported by the older tools, put it in
> a new field. Using the old field just breaks stuff for no reason.

I like this idea...

As I recall, people can throw new header fields in willy-nilly,
so people can as of _now_ put...
Maintainer-Name: <utf-8 encoded maintainer name>
for example. The email address isn't important, since that has to
be a subset of ASCII anyway.

Apart from documenting correct orthography though, I'm not sure
if this has any importance in terms of the tools... Changelogs
would presumably continue to match the Maintainer: field, and
so they would include the ASCII transliteration of the name.

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Shorter .sig for a more eco-friendly paperless office.