Re: Legal budget and Director-and-officer insurance related to packages with "adult" themes

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 02:33:44PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> There are a few people who are most likely to be prosecuted over legal
> issues in Debian packages that have "adult" themes. They are the SPI
> directors, and those affiliated with any registration or incorporation
> of SPI or Debian in countries other than the U.S.

Oh come on, they're at far greater risk from our overly-permissive
approach to copyright and patent issues. Any halfway decent lawyer
could run rings around our review process; it's nothing like "due
dillgance". I think the statutory punishments stand at tens of
thousands of dollars and up to five years in jail, in the US at
present. And there are people with legal muscle who have demonstrated
a desire to make attacks on this front.

If you're going to do something like this, at least get your
priorities straight. If it's necessary for one thing then it's
necessary for everything.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |