Re: Depending on Virtual Packages (Public Service Announcement)

Chasecreek Systemhouse <chasecreek.systemhouse@gmail.com> schrieb:

> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:18:12 -0500, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
>>   I don't understand what this has to do with Gnome or anything I said.
>
> Maybe its just me -- but your statement about selecting a preferred
> package over any old package that provides [insert whatever] to
> satisfy a dependency does relate to my statements.

If the user actually cares which of the real packages that provide the
virtual one should be installed, she will, and can select her preference
manually. Either because she has already installed it, or because she
finds the "wrong one" in the list of packages that are automatically
installed, and selects the other one.

The ORing with a real package is only for users that do not care; they
should get a "reasonable" alternative - with different criteria for
"reasonable", of course.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster