Re: Finding an improved release process.

John Goerzen wrote:
> On the other hand, it worked already.

So have you ever ported boot-floppies to a new major kernel version? I have
(partially). Not fun.

> We seem to decide we have to
> rewrite the installer from scratch for each new release, and it seems to
> slow us down each time.

We've rewritten the debian installer exactly once; I'm having a hard
time figuring out how you drew a line from that data point.

> This isn't to say that the d-i folks aren't doing a great job.  They
> are.  Just to say that we have something that works now, and using it
> for sarge would make sarge no worse than what we have now.

Contrary to what Matthew Garret said, the installer has not been
considered a sarge release blocker for at least the past two months. The
Debian installer is currently in a more releasable state than Debian.
Suggesting that we somehow insta-port the boot-floppies to sarge (and the
2.6 kernel) at this point is beyond absurd.

--
see shy jo