Re: the Recommends control field (was: dselect survey)

Jochen Voss asks,

> >   (a) The social interpretation: a Recommended
> >       package is one the maintainer recommends
> >       to his users, in the usual English-
> >       language sense of the word "recommends".
>
> > As review of the archive Packages file shows,
> > both interpretations (a) and (b) enjoy the
> > practical support of scores of maintainers.
> Can you give examples for (a)?  In my eyes these would violate
> the following clause of policy (quoted from section 7.1):
>
>   Recommends: This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency.
>     The Recommends field should list packages that would be found
>     together with this one in all but unusual installations.

If I choose a few example packages more or less
at random, then I hope that their maintainers
will not be angry.  This reply is meant neither
as a correction nor as a complaint nor as a bug
report.  Undoubtedly in some cases, after all, a
solid technical reason exists for the
Recommendation---a reason of which I am not
aware.

Besides the examples of Recommending packages
are also given a few examples of curiously
non-Recommending packages.  Scroll down to see
these.

RECOMMENDING PACKAGES

Package: licq
Recommends: sox

Package: magicfilter
Recommends: xpdf-utils

Package: pyftpd
Recommends: python-tk

Package: smail
Recommends: mail-reader

Package: cdlabelgen
Recommends: gs

Package: rezound
Recommends: cdrdao

Package: xhangglider
Recommends: menu

Package: lv
Recommends: bzip2

Package: xvkbd
Recommends: wordlist

Package: libecgi0
Recommends: httpd

Package: a2ps
Recommends: bzip2, lpr | cupsys-client, psutils, wdiff

Package: python2.3-htmlgen
Recommends: python2.3-imaging

Package: irda-utils
Recommends: openobex-apps

Package: tk707
Recommends: timidity

Package: bittorrent
Recommends: libwxgtk2.4-python

Package: mozilla-locale-fr
Recommends: myspell-dictionary-fr

Package: docbook-xsl
Recommends: lynx | www-browser | httpd | apache

Package: postfix
Recommends: mail-reader

Package: jwhois
Recommends: lynx

Package: evolution
Recommends: gnome-pilot-conduits

Package: gtkhtml
Recommends: gnome-control-center

Package: mozilla-browser
Recommends: mozilla-psm, myspell-en-us | myspell-dictionary

Package: maxdb-doc
Recommends: mozilla-browser | www-browser

Package: xfe
Recommends: rpm

Package: ircd-hybrid
Recommends: whois

Package: feh
Recommends: wget

Package: lokkit
Recommends: gnome-lokkit

Package: ibackup
Recommends: ssh

NON-RECOMMENDING PACKAGES

Here are some ${X}-data packages which no not
seem to Recommend (or Depend on) the
corresponding ${X}.  Some of these ${X}-data may
be useful without the ${X}, but their
independent usefulness is not immediately
obvious to me.

asc-data
atanks-data
bumprace-data
capplets-data
chromium-data
circuslinux-data
clamav-data
conquest-data
defendguin-data
discover-data
discover1-data
eggdrop-data
egoboo-data
enlightenment-data
freeciv-data
freedroid-data
gl-117-data
gtk-engines-geramik-data
gtk-engines-thingeramik-data
kdebase-data
kdeedu-data
kdelibs-data
koffice-data
liquidwar-data
luola-data
madbomber-data
moagg-data
moon-lander-data
mrwtoppm-data
pinball-data
race-data
searchandrescue-data
supertux-data
trackballs-data
wesnoth-data
wmaker-data
xblast-data

The point of the examples is naturally not to
prove errors by certain maintainers.
Undoubtedly some of the examples are inapt.  The
examples' only point is to illustrate how
Debian's collective usage of the Recommends
control field seems somewhat less consistent
than one might like.

--
Thaddeus H. Black
508 Nellie's Cave Road