Re: Intent to mass-file bugs: FDL/incorrect copyright files

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 02:57:32PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:
> > > The ftp-masters are responsible for maintaining the archive, but they
> > > aren't responsible for everything that goes in.  I could upload an
> > > existing package right now that contains some new non-free bits and they
> > > wouldn't see it or block its inclusion.
> >
> > If you did this deliberately, and you described the licenses in the
> > debian/copyright file, then they certainly would see it and block
> > inclusion.
>
> Point of information: they generally would not notice for an *existing*
> package until their attention was drawn to it in some way.

Yes, this is correct; I may have misread the above-quoted paragraph by
Brian Nelson.

Regardless, the fact that one could perpetrate a fraud and get away
with it for a while does not mean that a person should be able to get
away with it forever, or that the ftp-masters don't have the
legitimate power to fix it once it comes to light.

Thomas