Re: Synching mirrors and clients (was: Re: apt-proxy v2 and rsync)

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 06:35:40PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > Now if you feel advantous, repack as many package on the source mirror
> > with gzip --rsyncable and notice the difference.
>
> Exactly how is this going to help?  I can only see this as being
> useful when the files change.  Files should never change.  You
> get a completly new file.  Unless you can somehow tell to use the
> old file as base, this is not going to help.

there was a patch by paul russell floating around to build a heuristic
into rsync to allow it to figure out from the name which file might be
similar and use this as the file to sync against. this should work
pretty fine for debian packages, especially with --rsyncable

cu  robert

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com