Drop stable (was: Re: Drop testing)

On Oct 24, Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> wrote:

>    whole issue is about. We need to release faster. Faster releases are
>    only feasible if enough developers are motivated. They are motivated
>    if Unstable is blocked and they must care about the release instead
>    of working on stuff that makes "more fun".
I wonder how you did end up thinking this may be true.
If I don't feel like fixing bugs in one of my packages (think mutt) then
I'm going to do something else. But I have a long list of tasks between
"work on new packages in unstable" and "fix bugs in mutt".

> Motivation is the only factor to make them do things. Having to care
> about the release in order to continue the "fun work" leads to
> motivation.
I don't feel motivated to work on releases which are not deployable
because when they get old they need tens of backports to be useful and a
knoppix CD to be installed.
Anyway unstable is good enough for my needs, and testing with a few
minor changes could be even better.
My solution? Stop releasing, and leave this to entities which are
motivated enough (or well-financed enough, which is the same thing) to
do it.

--
ciao, |
Marco | [8730 doXLPaWz36Tmo]