Re: Content of CDs / DVDs

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 06:21:24PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Would it be more feasible if all of the intelligence was on the client
> side?  The client could slurp down a Packages file, work out which
> packages to include and split them into CD-sized chunks, download the
> debs from a mirror somewhere, then fetch the installer and whatever else
> is necessary to make the CD usable.  It'd be like jigdo, but taken one
> stage further.

That would be possible, but it wasn't a design goal for jigdo. With jigdo,
I wanted to create bit-exact copies of officially released images. Once you
start executing mkisofs on the user's machine, this becomes difficult to
achieve, so jigdo leaves creating the iso9660 filesystem to other tools.

Have a look at the debian-cd scripts and imagine doing all this on the
user's machine - not trivial!

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯